Requirements for H-4 Visa Stamping

In order to travel internationally, exit and enter the U.S. as an H-1B or H-4 (Spouse / Child of H-1B Worker) visa holder, you must possess a valid passport and a valid visa stamp inside your passport. Visa stamps are issued by US Consulate's abroad.

The following is a list of documents required for obtaining a visa stamp for H-4 visa holders. Note that this is not an exhaustive list. For specific questions or concerns, contact us or the US Consulate directly.

  • One DS-156 application form per applicant (Citizens of Cuba, North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, Russia, and Vietnam, over the age of 16, must provide two application forms).

  • One DS-157 application form per male applicant. This is a mandatory form for all male applicants between the ages of 16 and 45, regardless of nationality and regardless of where they apply. Females from Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Sudan, Syria, Libya and North Korea, ages 16 or older, must also complete this application form.

  • Valid Passport (valid for at least 6 months past the intended stay in the U.S.)

  • Proof of legal status in Canada/Mexico: original or certified copy

  • Recent passport sized photograph. The photo must have been taken within the last 6 months, 2 x 2 inches, color on white/light background, showing full face, no head cover. (Citizens of Cuba, North Korea, the Peoples Republic of China, Russia, and Vietnam over the age of 16 must provide two photos for each applicant).

  • Older passports containing previous visas

  • Documents substantiating previous legal status in the U.S.

  • Non-refundable visa application fee.

  • Original H-4 approval notice and copy of the H-1B employee's petition documents as provided by the immigration attorney.

  • Proof of dependent's relationship to main applicant. This may include original marriage certificate and/or original birth certificates for minor children

  • All documents must be presented in the English language. If English translation is required, the applicant must present a certified translation.

  • Any other documentation as required by the US Consular Official. You may check the web page or make contact directly at the number provided above.

Find the list of documents required for obtaining a visa stamp for H-1B visa holders on this page.

Contact Us

If you are considering applying for H4 or H-1B status please call Attorney Roger Bernstein PA for experienced legal assistance. We are available at +1 305 428 4506. You may also email us at and one of your Immigration Attorneys will be happy to assist you.

Speak with An Immigration Attorney