Family Based Immigration

We help you to live peacefully in the US with your family

Immediate relatives

As a foreign national, you may be qualified to apply for a US green card through your parents, children, spouse, or siblings. Whether you can apply immediately or will have to wait depends upon the family relationship. Immediate relatives of US citizens include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under 21. Immediate relatives may file residency petitions without delay.

Preference categories:

Other relatives, apart from "immediate relatives", must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following categories:

  • First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

  • Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.

  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

Wait times will vary according to the Visa Bulletin.

Speak with An Immigration Attorney